On behalf of the 1000 Books Foundation, Golden Prairie Parent Link and the Trochu Municipal Library, we invite you to participate in this free program which encourages you to read 1000 books with your child before he or she starts kindergarten.
The concept is simple, the rewards are priceless. Read a book (any book) to your newborn, infant, toddler and/or preschooler. The goal is to have read 1000 books (yes, you can repeat books) before your child starts kindergarten.
If it sounds overwhelming, here's a different way to think about it.
If you read just 1 book a night, you will have read approximately 365 books in a year.
That is 730 books in two years and 1095 books in three years. If you consider that most children start kindergarten at around 5 years of age, you have more time than you think!
The key is perseverance. Make it exciting and be sure to bring your log books into the library to receive a small prize whenever you reach a 100 books milestone.
1. Read with your child. Studies have shown that reading with your child provides a great opportunity for bonding. Reading together is fun and will create life-long memories for both of you.
2. Keep track of the titles of the books that you read with your child. Make a record of what you are reading in your own booklet, or pick up convenient log sheets at the library. If you prefer recording your reading digitally there is now a 1000 Books Before Kindergarten app with which you can also record your reading. Android | iOS
3. After each 100 book milestone is reached, bring your log into the library and we will reward your child with a prize.
1. Who can participate? Any child from birth until he or she enters kindergarten.
2. How long will the program take? It can take anywhere from a few months to a few years. It is self-paced and will depend on how often you read together.
3. How many children can participate? All of them -- provided they have not yet started kindergarten. Make it even more fun and read together as a family.
4. Can we count books that siblings, grandparents, teachers or librarians read to our child? Yes absolutely!
5. What books should we read? Whatever books interest your child. If you need ideas of great books to read aloud you can visit the Three Hills Library Pinterest Read Alouds board or download the suggested reading list below (compiled by 1000 Books Before Kindergarten). You can also always ask your librarian for their read-aloud favourites!